From the internet of things, to social messaging and wearable technologies, the ways in which we communicate and interact with each other and the physical environment are subject to almost constant change. This presents government, organisations and individuals with a set of dynamic and challenging tasks for security, privacy and trust.
We will develop new analytic technology and tools that can help us to manage security in an insecure world, and ensure that skills, methodologies, and expertise in this space remain at the cutting edge of data science and AI research.
What can data science and AI do?
- Develop algorithms to protect individuals’ and organisations’ privacy
- Integrate information systems to improve cyber security
- Predict and prevent online and offline security risks before they arise
- Perform micro and macro modelling of urban systems to improve public safety
- Enable time-sensitive decisions to be reached using a data-driven approach
- Analyse security risks associated with technological developments in AI
- Promote human-machine interactions in a secure and efficient manner
- Support the reliability, security, and performance of complex systems-of-systems as they handle ever bigger and more complex datasets
What are the benefits for science, society, and the economy?
- Make the UK a safe and secure environment in which to work and live, in an increasingly online world
- Improve skills, training and knowledge to individuals, organisations and authorities for all aspects of cyber security and data
- Build privacy and trust online and offline
- Create safe and efficient transport infrastructures