The Alan Turing Institute
Launched in November 2015, the Alan Turing Institute is the national institute for data science and artificial intelligence. Our mission is to make great leaps in research to change the world for the better.
The Institute is headquartered at The British Library, and brings together researchers from a range of disciplines – mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering and social sciences, – from thirteen leading universities and industry partners.
As a Research Assistant (RA) you will work closely with PIs and project teams on projects across applied areas of data science and artificial intelligence. We are looking for those who have a clearly indicated interest in Health, Urban Analytics, Complex Engineering Systems, and Policy (including the research priorities of government departments, such as the Home Office or Ministry of Justice).
We welcome candidates who want to work in a strong developmental role in which they will be learning on the job and have time to develop skills in data science and artificial intelligence. Where they would like to, they will be encouraged to carry out a PhD in addition to their role as a Research Assistant, on a part-time basis, supported by the Institute.
Skills and experience
Candidates must be able to demonstrate, through examples, the below capabilities:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience in a field with significant use of both computer programming and advanced statistical or numerical methods.
- Interpersonal skills relevant to working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and communicating with stakeholders in academia, the public sector, and industry.
- Ability to work flexibly, prioritising tasks to meet deadlines and maintaining a high standard of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and ability to rapidly assimilate new computational and mathematical ideas and techniques on the job, at a more than superficial level, and apply them successfully.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead one’s own work independently, including planning and execution, and to collaborate productively as part of a team.
- Experience in the visual representation of quantitative data, the authoring of research papers or technical reports, and giving presentations on technical subjects.
- Experience working with confidential and sensitive data for research.
- Exposure to mixed or qualitative research methods.
- Evidence of extensive reading and understanding of topics in one or more of the research challenges of interest to the Institute.
Fixed term up until 2023 for part time for those pursuing a part-time PhD, with possibility for extension (funding permitting); fixed term up until 2021 for full time, with possibility for extension (funding permitting).
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your CV, with contact details for your referees and a covering letter to [email protected]. Along with a CV and covering letter, please submit a research output to support your application, for us to read before the interview. This might be a link to a selected research or technical paper, a technical blog post or a chapter of a thesis or dissertation or a link to a public version control tool such as GitHub containing an example analysis script or research software library you have made a significant contribution to. You will be asked questions on this output as part of the interview.
We encourage applications from those who are able to commence the post in November or December 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
If you have questions or would like to discuss the role further with a member of the Institute’s HR Team, please contact them on 0203 862 3375 or email [email protected].
Please note all offers of employment are subject to continuous eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory pre-employment security screening which includes a DBS Check. This position is not eligible for Sponsorship.
Full details on the pre-employment screening process can be requested from [email protected].